Every year roughly 600 million pounds of candy are passed out around the country. These treats are loaded with sugar and can make even the most health conscious parents cringe. While candy and trick-or-treating might be ubiquitous with Halloween, it doesn’t have to be a sugar feast. This year you can give these healthy Halloween-inspired treats to all your visiting goblins and ghouls.
Try These “Fun-Sized” Treats
One thing these fun-sized treats have in common is that they all have 8 grams of sugar or less and actually have a small dose of added benefits to them! The key is moderation:
- Coconut Candy – the coconut adds an extra dose of fiber to your Halloween vacation
- Peanut Chocolate Bar – the peanuts give you 2 grams of fiber
- Lollipops – each lollipop only has 20 calories and 4 grams of sugar
- Dark Chocolate Candy – the dark chocolate candies offers extra health benefits
Give up the Candy!
If you want to give up on the candy altogether, you can pass out these Halloween inspired treats as well:
- Halloween-themed rings – offer a variety of options from ghosts to spiders
- Glow sticks – to keep the fun going as dusk sets in
- Packaged pretzels – a good alternative to sugary sweets
- Packaged apple slices – we all know the old saying about an apple a day…
SEE ALSO: Back-to-School Snacks for Healthy Teeth
Spooky Special Alternatives
You can also entice your child this Halloween season with a little pre-planning. For example, buyback programs are starting to become more and more popular with parents these days. Simply agree upon either a nickel or a dime per piece of candy that the child then sells back to you, showing them the
value of earning money. You can also get your child involved in charity work early as there are multiple programs that will take candy as a donation, these donations are then sent to soldiers serving abroad or to a family shelter with children in need.
SEE ALSO: Why Root Canals Aren’t Scary Anymore
Visiting the Dentist Can be a Treat with Duffield Dentistry
No matter how you handle this Halloween season, Duffield Dentistry is ready to help you with all of your dentistry needs. Contact us by phone at 877-630-7410 to schedule an appointment or just to discuss your questions about oral hygiene. Dr. Larry Duffield and the staff here at Duffield Dentistry will be happy to assist you with all of your oral health needs.