The Best Ways To Prevent Cavities
The health of your teeth should always be a priority, which is why it’s important to be aware of the best ways to prevent cavities. A cavity is a spot on the tooth that has been worn down and has started to decay. If you ignore them for too long, major problems can occur. When it comes to your oral health, remember that prevention is always the best medicine!
What Causes Cavities?
Cavities are caused by acidic-plaque that sits on the teeth, causing damage to the enamel and wearing a hole into your tooth. This plaque is caused by sugary and starchy foods that turn into acid when consumed. When this plaque begins to build up, it creates a breeding ground for cavities.
Saving Your Teeth: The Best Ways To Prevent Cavities
Make an effort to prevent cavities before they occur. Sometimes all you have to do is make a few alterations to your daily routine. To help fight against cavities, here are a few tips you should follow:
- Regular Brushing: This is an obvious one that many people have heard since they were little. Regularly brushing your teeth removes the damaging plaque from the surface of your teeth. This gives teeth the chance to repair and not be constantly attacked by acidic-plaque.
- Flossing: Brushing is not always enough to remove the damaging plaque. Plaque can get in between teeth, causing even more damage. Flossing at least once a day will greatly improve the health of your teeth and prevent cavities.
- Limit Snacking & Sipping: If you find yourself snacking and drinking, be careful about the amount of sugar you’re consuming. Too much sugar will only generate more acidic-plaque. It is especially important to limit foods that get stuck in teeth like chips and candy. Fresh fruits and veggies are a much better option.
- Include Fluoride: Make sure your toothpaste and mouthwash include fluoride. Fluoride, along with the minerals in your saliva, fight against acidic-plaque and helps to repair teeth. Also most tap water has fluoride.
- Visit the Dentist Regularly: Scheduling regular visits to the dentist is very important not only to preventing cavities but for your overall oral health. Keeping your teeth clean and regularly examined should happen at least yearly.
Implementing the best ways to prevent cavities into your daily routine will only benefit you and your smile. Always take care of your teeth by brushing and flossing regularly, avoiding harmful snacks, including fluoride in your oral care and visiting the dentist regularly.